The report explores the learning from the spread phase of the Always Events programme. It gives the background to Always Events and explores how the organisations in the spread phase have implemented and learned from the co-production programme.
The key learnings from trusts that have implemented an Always Event and that have sought to spread are:
- the importance of senior staff level support to provide accountability and commitment
- linking the Always Events framework to organisational strategies and quality improvement work aids spread and sustainability
- aligning the work with other quality improvement projects/teams can be useful
- staff engagement is key to success
- the importance of promoting the Always Event to increase awareness and engage staff
It is important for trusts to consider early on how the changes introduced through their Always Event will be measured for reliability and impact.
Some scale-up sites need to further develop their process and outcome measures to evaluate if their activities are effective.