We run the annual costing assurance programme to:
- provide assurance on the accuracy of the costing information submitted by providers as part of national data collections
- allow our costing transformation programme to address feedback from the sector
- assess whether providers are complying with costing guidance
- monitor providers’ progress in implementing the costing transformation programme's changes to improve costing information
- identify providers that need support
Assessing costing arrangements
We've commissioned EY to assess costing arrangements at selected acute and mental health providers over a three-year period. They will assess whether:
- providers' arrangements for recording cost information, and its 2015/16 reference costs submission, comply with our costing guidance
- providers are making progress in implementing the costing transformation programmes changes
Each provider will be sent a draft report of its assessment and given the opportunity to comment. Once the final report is agreed, each provider will agree an action plan with us to address any issues and risks identified.
Progress against this agreed action plan will be overseen by provider’s audit committee or other relevant group.
We've summarised the results of the assessments completed to date in a reporting dashboard. This shows the emerging themes providers should consider addressing as part of their costing process.
This dashboard provides an overview of the work to date and high-level analysis of the insights and risks being identified by costing assurance reviews.
The dashboard will be updated regularly as more assessments are completed. Later this year we'll produce separate dashboards for mental health and 'early implementer' providers.
Costing assessment tool (CAT)
The costing assessment tool (CAT) provides an assessment of the quality of costing at each trust and the degree to which the costing standards have been implemented. Details on how to complete and submit the CAT are included in the guidance section of the tool. It should be completed and submitted to NHS England and NHS Improvement as detailed in each tool by the dates set out below for each service area. Individual dashboards showing how your trust’s responses compare to others will be issued back to participating trusts shortly after these deadlines.
New versions of the CATs will be released ahead of this year's cost collections and will be available here.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have a question about costing or the programme, or if you would like to be added to our mailing list.