As the number of
health systems employing lean management approaches to transform healthcare
increases, we know that under the right conditions and done properly lean can
have a positive impact on patient care.
Our support offer
Many of you have asked for access to in-house lean expertise and this programme, drawing on the experience and learning of providers using lean, will provide:
- executive coaching in a lean context
- support with establishing a local Kaizen Promotion Office
- training programmes, tools and materials
- support with securing clinical buy-in
- workshops, events and networking opportunities
The detailed delivery plan for each trust will be co-produced with them.
If you missed our lean programme information sessions, the presentation slides are now available, featuring more details about lean systems and the application process.
Q&A on the lean programme
1. Can any trust apply to join the programme?
Yes, the application process is open to all types of trusts: mental health, community, ambulance, specialist and acute, however, this is a competitive process with only six places available in the first cohort.
2. Can we apply with an STP/other partners?
The contractual relationship will be with NHS Improvement and a lead provider and we will support the development of a Kaizen Promotion Office (KPO) located within that provider. If the trust wishes to work with other partners to implement their lean management system we would consider this positively. The accountability would remain with the Board of the lead provider.
3. How much will the programme cost us?
NHS Improvement will be charging providers at cost, and the proposed costs will be discussed with applicants.
4. How will you assess the suitability of trusts for this programme?
We’ll assess trusts against their responses to the application form questions, and we’ll visit and interview shortlisted trusts in March 2018.
5. Can we ask questions and get further information before we apply?
We’ll be arranging two information sessions, one in London on Tuesday 6 February and one in Leeds one Wednesday 7 February.
How to apply
Please complete the application form to apply for one of the six places in this first cohort.
Submit your complete application to email@example.com by midnight on Wednesday 28 February 2018.
- The King's fund 'Embedding a culture of quality improvement' (by Joni Jabbel)
- The NHS Bermuda Triangle (and how to escape it), by Marc Baker, Ian Taylor, Daniel T Jones
- ‘Beyond Heroes – a Lean Management System for healthcare’(by Kim Barnas with Emily Evans)
- The Toyota Way (by Jeffrey K Liker, McGraw-Hill, 2004, ISBN 0-07-139231-9)
- Accelerating Health Care Transformation with Lean Innovation: The Virginia Mason Experience (by Paul Plesk, 2013, Productivity Press, ISBN 1-48-220383-9)