Aims of the programme
The Maternal and Neonatal Health Safety Collaborative is a three-year programme, launched in February 2017. The collaborative is led by our Patient Safety team and covers all maternity and neonatal services across England.
We aim to:
• Support maternal and neonatal care services to provide a safe, reliable and quality healthcare experience to all women, babies and families across maternity care settings in England
• Create the conditions for continuous improvement, a safety culture and a national maternal and neonatal learning system.
• Contribute to the national ambition of reducing the rates of maternal and neonatal deaths, stillbirths, and brain injuries that occur during or soon after birth by 20% by 2020.
Our support offer
Our support offer is split into three waves with 44 trusts taking part in wave 1 this year. Nominated improvement leads will build their knowledge of improvement theory by attending nine days of learning sessions during each wave.
The leads will share their learning with trusts in waves 2 and 3, as we work with them during the second and third years of the collaborative. Through our support they'll apply these new ideas and approaches to improve clinical practices, ensure a reliable quality of care and measure improvement and impact.
We'll visit and support each trust to build local capability in quality improvement and provide structured support to local teams to assess their service and develop innovative plans that lead to measurable improvements.
By 2020, we will have supported 134 trusts to:
- develop local skills and resources for improvement
- create a local improvement plan
- improve service quality and safety
- measure improvement data to show the impact
- join a local learning system
At this time we continue to support all 134 NHS trusts to focus on system-level improvement to maternal and neonatal health, helping to develop and support the 44 local maternity systems (LMS). These will encourage collaboration between local providers, partners, women and their families, the maternity and neonatal networks and the Patient Safety Collaboratives (PSCs), delivered by our AHSN partners.
The learning system is an ‘improvement forum’ where individuals, across different professions, and from different organisations, come together to share and learn about improvement approaches and outcomes.
Background to our work
The maternity transformation programme has nine workstreams, covering a range of topics. The Maternal and Neonatal Health Safety Collaborative falls under Workstream 2: Promoting good practice for safer care.
If you would like further information, have any questions about the MNHSC or to get in touch with your local community of practice, please email email@example.com.
Get updates to this page by RSS feed