We all have a responsibility to nurture talent and think about how we develop future NHS leaders – especially in a shifting context and as systems leadership comes to the fore. That's why we've created the Midlands and East Executive Talent (MEET) pool.
The aim of the scheme is a simple one: we want to develop a diverse talent pool of individuals who can be appointed into executive-level posts in providers across the Midlands and East region, on either a stretch assignment or secondment basis.
It's a locally led example of our Developing People – Improving Care approach. We want to ensure that the pool of people equipped to lead continuously improving teams in the NHS is big enough and diverse enough to fill critical leadership roles.
We've worked closely with the NHS Leadership Academy and NHS Interim Management and Support to develop the scheme and to ensure that an appropriate package of support is in place for both providers and candidates.
Benefits of using the talent pool
The pool contains candidates from a range of disciplines and backgrounds, including:
- directors of nursing
- HR directors
- chief operating officers
Individuals in the talent pool have put themselves forward and undergone a rigorous assessment to ensure their suitability for director-level posts. We'll support you with the matching process in order to help providers and candidates get the most from a placement.
- provides financial and organisational benefits by reducing reliance on expensive interim staff
- enhances the leadership capability of the region and contributes to a strong talent pipeline - something chief executives told us they wanted to see
- provides a source of talent that can be tapped into when relevant opportunities arise
- helps to assure leadership quality into the future
- access to opportunities which can accelerate their progression into substantive leadership roles
- exposure to different provider environments and a chance to test the limits of existing skills and experience
- receive regular coaching and mentoring as part of the programme to support them throughout the duration of their placement
Providers: submit an interim vacancy
If you have an interim vacancy you would like to advertise to
the talent pool, please contact your NHS Improvement relationship
manager, or send the details directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advertising through the talent pool doesn't stop you from recruiting via other routes. We'll support with screening and matching candidates as part of the scheme.
Candidates: apply to join the talent pool
You should be at executive-level or ready to step up to
executive-level for your next career move, for example:
- you're an executive at a smaller trust, looking to work in a larger one
- you're looking to step up into your first chief operating officer role
Once in the talent pool, you'll receive regular updates about opportunities and vacancies across the Midlands and East region.
A guide for trusts: Midlands and East executive talent
A guide for candidates: Midlands and East executive talent