Explains how we reviewed patient safety incidents reported to us and the action we took as a direct result to protect patients from harm between October 2018 and March 2019.
Year-on-year reporting to the National Reporting and Learning System (NRLS) continues to grow and we now receive over two million incident reports each year. This report:
- explains how we review patient safety incident reports and respond to the new or under-recognised risks we identify
- provides an outline of our clinical review and response process
- gives examples of the action we took to support providers to improve patient safety between October 2018 and March 2019 as a direct result of our reviews of incidents
- highlights where we've helped our partners to take action to improve safety across the NHS
- gives recognition to staff, patients and members of the public who have taken time to report incidents.