Flexible nurse staffing in hospital wards | shift work in hospitals | nurse staffing levels
This resource is based on the National Quality Board’s expectations that to ensure safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led care, trusts will employ the right staff with the right skills in the right place and at the right time.
We've designed this to be used by everyone involved in clinical establishment setting, approval and deployment – from the ward manager to the board of directors.
- outlines a systematic approach for identifying
the organisational, managerial and ward factors that support safe staffing
- makes recommendations for monitoring and taking action if not enough staff are
available on the ward to meet patients’ needs
- builds on NICE guidelines on safe staffing for nursing in adult inpatient care in acute wards
Thank you for your feedback on
these draft resources. We are now reviewing your comments which will help to
shape the final document and we’ll publish these shortly.
- Safe staffing in learning disability services
- Safe sustainable and productive staffing: case studies
- Update on safe staffing improvement resources for specific care settings
- Supporting NHS providers to deliver the right staff, with the right skills, in the right place at the right time: Safe, sustainable and productive staffing