We're working with Kaplan to develop a training course designed specifically for people new to NHS costing. The course is free to NHS provider staff.
We are now running the first cohorts of the course and applications are now closed.
We are however considering running the courses again in 2018. To ask a question or express interest please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course covers:
- introduction to costing
- overview of why and how we cost in healthcare
- models and terminology for costing
- costing principles
- costing standards
- collections and data validation
- costing for decision making
- case study and practical project to further develop
and apply learning
- seven live webinars which can be carried out remotely to reduce travel costs and time (each webinar will be approximately two hours long plus there will be recommended reading to reinforce
and consolidate learning
- beginning and end of course diagnostic test to assess learning
Developing skills for costing:
- two day case study (in the classroom) which will build on learning from costing essential
- work-based costing assignment to apply principles and skills back in a real life environment of a NHS trust (this will take place over four weeks and should be integrated into your trust’s work)
- final one day (in the classroom) consolidation of learning and focus on influencing and resilience skills needed in costing
Places are limited and applications will be prioritised for individuals:
- who are new to costing in the NHS
- working in an acute environment
- who have the support of their line manager
- who have a clear plan for applying their costing knowledge and disseminating this within their trust.
Delegates will be expected to be
comfortable working in a finance or analytical environment, with a good
understanding of spreadsheet packages.