We're working with providers to implement patient-level costing across the NHS. Resources, outputs and tools from cost collections – both PLICS and reference costs – to support you to use cost data are available in Using costing information to support better outcomes.
Latest news from the programme
2019 Approved Costing Guidance published
We are pleased to announce the publication of the 2019 Approved Costing Guidance. This includes updated standards and national cost collections guidance.
Mandating patient-level costs for mental health activity
On 12 February 2019, following consultation with the sector, we have mandated the proposal to collect patient-level costs for mental health activity from 2019/20 financial year. This is part of the costing mandation project.
- 18 June: Countdown to collection: acute. Click here to view
- 29 May: NCC: workbook, reconciliations and the Data Validation Tool. Click here to view
- 22 May: NHS costing roadmap to 2020. Click here to view
- 24 April: Update on the Cost Ledger Automapper tool - for the main webinar, click here. The demo mentioned in the webinar can be be seen via the Online Learning Platform here. To register for the OLP, email us.
- 27 February: Approved Costing Guidance launch. Click here to view
- 15 January 2019: PLICS in mental health, community and integrated trusts. Click here to view
- 4 December: Costing in 2019: consultations on collections (all sectors) and standards for ambulance and mental health. Click here to view
- 21 November: Costing Assessment Tool. Click here to view
- 8 November: Costing in 2019: Timetable, scope and consultation on integrated standard. Click here to view
- 17 October: Costing collections: data outputs and updates on pilots. Click here to view
- 15 August: 2017/18 cost collections: resubmissions and data quality. Click here to view
- 20 June: Education and training standards. Click here to view
- 20 June: Costing community services: PLICS guidance. Click here to view
- 12 June: Acute cost collections - reference costs and PLICS. Click here to view
- 16 May: 'Talk to an early implementer' - mental health implementation and collection: building readiness. Click here to view
- 3 May: 'Talk to an early implementer' - acute implementation and collections: building readiness. Click here to view
- 21 March: Mental health and ambulance: Approved Costing Guidance and early implementer support explained. Click here to view
- 21 February 2018: Approved Costing Guidance: publication and implementation support. Click here to view
About the programme
To support the sustainable delivery of high quality patient care as outlined in the Five Year Forward View, providers need to fully understand their current models of care and what the impact would be of moving to a new way of delivering services.
Cost is an important factor in evaluating how effectively and efficiently you're delivering care to patients. Having accurate, consistent, patient-level cost information will help you to:
- make the best possible use of resources
- evaluate clinical practice
- compare different ways of working
Keep in touch
Keep up to date with costing news by signing up to receive our costing newsletter. You can also find out where we’ll be speaking in the events section of the newsletter. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our distribution list.
Find us on Twitter
Several members of the Costing Team are active on Twitter - use the hashtag #ImprovingCosting to find the latest messages from them and other costing professionals.
Please email any questions, feedback or suggestions to email@example.com.