The data collection asks for the following from NHS providers:
- the number of adults admitted as inpatients in the month, who have been risk assessed for VTE on admission to hospital using the criteria in the National VTE Risk Assessment Tool
- the total number of adult inpatients admitted in the month
- the percentage of adult hospital admissions, admitted within the month assessed for risk of VTE on admission
Providers are required to upload their VTE risk assessment data onto Unify2 and ensure it has been signed off no later than 20 working days after the month end.
Nationally-mandated quality requirements, with associated financial consequences, were introduced in relation to VTE assessment (previously a national CQUIN indicator) in the 2014/15 NHS Standard Contract.
Follow these links for technical guidance:
- The latest NHS standard contract
- NHS Standard Contract 2016/17 - technical guidance
- NHS England VTE Guidance September 2016