Our official statistics for VTE risk assessment in England for quarter 3 (Q3) 2018/19 (October to December 2018) were released on 1 March 2019 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority. From April 2017 we took on responsibility as the publisher of official statistics for VTE from NHS England.
Venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk assessment data: quarter 3 2018/19 (revised)
The revised quarter 3 data released on Thursday 12 December covers, October, November and December 2018. It revises VTE risk assessment 2018/19 released on 1 March 2019.
Summary of the data collection
The key results for the data collected on the number and percentage of VTE risk assessments on adult inpatients admitted to NHS-funded acute care (NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts and independent sector providers) in Q3 2018/19 are:
- England continues to achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold. Of the 3.9 million admitted adult inpatients for whom data was reported in this collection, 3.7 million (96%) were risk assessed for VTE on admission.
- Looking back, the proportion of adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE steadily increased from 53% in Q2 2010/11 to 96% in Q2 2013/14 and then remained at 96% until Q2 2015/16, dropping in Q3 2015/16 to 95%. From Q4 2015/16 to Q4 2016/17 the percentage was stable at 96%. The results for Q1 to Q4 2017/18 showed a decrease of 1% with 95% of patients being risk assessed for VTE. In Q1 2018/19 this increased to 96% but decreased again in Q2 2018/19 to 95%. In Q3 2018/19 the performance increased to 96%.
- In Q3 2018/19, the percentage of admitted adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE was 96% for NHS acute care providers and 97% for independent sector providers. NHS acute care providers carried out about 97% of all VTE risk assessments.
- Four regions (North, Midlands and East, London and South East) achieved the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q2 2018/19 (see Table 2). South West did not meet the threshold, achieving 94.97%.
- In Q3 2018/19, 82% of providers (247 of the 303 providers) carried out a VTE risk assessment for 95% or more of their admissions (the NHS Standard Contract threshold). This breaks down as 75% of NHS acute providers (112 of 150) and 88% of independent sector providers (135 of 153).
- Of the 56 providers (18%) that did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q3 2018/19, 79% (44 of 56) did risk assess between 90% and 95% of total admissions for VTE.