Our official statistics for VTE risk assessment in England for quarter 4 (Q4) 2018/19 (January to March 2019) were released on 4 June 2019 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority. From April 2017 we took on responsibility as the publisher of official statistics for VTE from NHS England.
If you have any issues downloading this file type replace .xsl with .csv
Venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk assessment data: quarter 4 2018/19 (revised)
The revised quarter 4 data released on Thursday 12 December covers, January, February and March 2019. It revises VTE risk assessment 2018/19 released on 4 June 2019.
Summary of the data collection
The key results for the data collected on the number and percentage of VTE risk assessments on adult inpatients admitted to NHS-funded acute care (NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts and independent sector providers) in Q4 2018/19 are:
- England continues to achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold. Of the 3.9 million admitted adult inpatients for whom data was reported in this collection, 3.7 million (96%) were risk assessed for VTE on admission.
- Looking back, the proportion of adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE steadily increased from 53% in Q2 2010/11 to 96% in Q2 2013/14 and then remained at 96% until Q2 2015/16, dropping in Q3 2015/16 to 95%. From Q4 2015/16 to Q4 2016/17 the percentage was stable at 96%. The results for Q1 to Q4 2017/18 showed a decrease of 1% with 95% of patients being risk assessed for VTE. In Q1 2018/19 this increased to 96% but decreased again in Q2 2018/19 to 95%. In Q3 2018/19 the performance increased to 96% and remained at 96% in Q4.
- In Q4 2018/19, the percentage of admitted adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE was 96% for NHS acute care providers and 98% for independent sector providers. NHS acute care providers carried out about 97% of all VTE risk assessments.
- All regions (North, Midlands and East, London, South East and South West) achieved the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q4 2018/19 (see Table 2).
- In Q4 2018/19, 83% of providers (252 of the 302 providers) carried out a VTE risk assessment for 95% or more of their admissions (the NHS Standard Contract threshold). This breaks down as 77% of NHS acute providers (115 of 149) and 90% of independent sector providers (137 of 153).
- Of the 50 providers (17%) that did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q4 2018/19, 76% (38 of 50) did risk assess between 90% and 95% of total admissions for VTE.