Veteran Aware hospitals will lead the way in improving veterans' care within the NHS, as part of the Veterans Covenant Hospital Alliance (VCHA).
We will be guiding and equipping the first cohort of volunteer hospitals to help demonstrate that they are ‘Veteran Aware’. This will involve hospitals sharing good practice in linking with local services for veterans and raising staff awareness of the Armed Forces Covenant.
Veteran Aware hospitals will:
- provide leaflets and posters to veterans and their families explaining what to expect
- train staff to be aware of veterans’ needs and the commitments of the NHS under the Armed Forces Covenant
- inform staff if a veteran or their GP has told the hospital they have served in the armed forces
- ensure that the armed forces community do not face disadvantage compared to other citizens when accessing NHS services
- signpost to extra services that might be provided to the armed forces community by a charity or service organisation in the hospital
- look into what services are available in their locality, which patients would benefit from being referred to after a hospital stay