The official statistics for venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk assessment in England for quarter 1 (Q1) 2017/18 (April to June 2017) produced by NHS Improvement were released on 1 September 2017 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority. From April 2017 we took on responsibility as the publisher of official statistics for VTE from NHS England.
Summary of the data collection
The key results for the data collected on the number and proportion of VTE risk assessments on adult inpatients admitted to NHS-funded acute care (NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts and independent sector providers) in quarter 1 (Q1) 2017/18 are:
- England as a whole continues to achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold. Of the 3.7 million admitted adult inpatients for whom data was reported in this collection, 3.5 million (95%) were risk assessed for VTE on admission. .
- Looking back, the proportion of adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE steadily increased from 53% in Q2 2010/11 to 96% in Q2 2013/14 and then remained at 96% until Q2 2015/16, dropping in Q3 2015/16 to 95%. From Q4 2015/16 to Q4 2016/17 the proportion was stable at 96%. The latest results for Q1 2017/18 show a decline of 1% with 95% of patients being risk assessed for VTE.
- In Q1 2017/18, the proportion of admitted adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE was slightly lower for NHS acute care providers (95%) compared to independent sector providers (98%), with NHS acute care providers doing about 97% of all VTE risk assessments.
- Three of the four regions (London, North of England, and Midlands and East of England) achieved the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q1 2017/18. The South of England did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q1 2017/18, achieving 94.98%..
- In Q1 2017/18, 84% of providers (256 of the 306 reporting data) carried out a VTE risk assessment for 95% or more of their admissions (the NHS Standard Contract threshold). This breaks down as 77.6% of NHS acute providers (121 of 156) and 90.0% of independent sector providers (135 of 150). This is an increase compared to Q4 2016/17 when 83% (257 of the 308) of NHS acute and independent sector providers risk assessed 95% or more of their admissions for VTE.
- Of the 50 providers (16%) that did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q1 2017/18, 66% (33 of 50) did risk assess between 90% to 95% of total admissions for VTE.