The official statistics for venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk assessment in England for quarter 1 (Q1) 2018/19 (April to June 2018) produced by NHS Improvement were released on 4 September 2018 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
From April 2017 we took on responsibility as the publisher of official statistics for VTE from NHS England.
Summary of the data collection
The key results for the data collected on the number and percentage of VTE risk assessments on adult inpatients admitted to NHS-funded acute care (NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts and independent sector providers) in quarter 1 (Q1) 2018/19 are:England as a whole continues to achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold. Of the 3.7 million admitted adult inpatients for whom data was reported in this collection, 3.6 million (96%) were risk assessed for VTE on admission
- Looking back, the proportion of adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE steadily increased from 53% in Q2 2010/11 to 96% in Q2 2013/14 and then remained at 96% until Q2 2015/16, dropping in Q3 2015/16 to 95%. From Q4 2015/16 to Q4 2016/17 the percentage was stable at 96%. The results for Q1 to Q4 2017/18 showed a decrease of 1% with 95% of patients being risk assessed for VTE. In Q1 2018/19 this increased to 96%
- In Q1 2018/19, the percentage of admitted adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE was the same for both NHS acute care providers and independent sector providers (96%). NHS acute care providers carried out about 97% of all VTE risk assessments
- All five regions (London, North, Midlands and East, South East and South West) achieved the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q1 2018/19
- In Q1 2018/19, 79% of providers (240 of the 304 providers) carried out a VTE risk assessment for 95% or more of their admissions (the NHS Standard Contract threshold). This breaks down as 75% of NHS acute providers (114 of 152) and 83% of independent sector providers (126 of 152)
- Of the 64 providers (21%) that did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q1 2018/19, 63% (40 of 64) did risk assess between 90% and 95% of total admissions for VTE