The official statistics for VTE risk assessment in England for quarter 2 (Q2) 2017/18 (July to September 2017) produced by NHS Improvement were released on 1 December 2017 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority. From April 2017 we took on responsibility as the publisher of official statistics for VTE from NHS England.
Summary of the data collection
The key results for the data collected on the number and percentage of VTE risk assessments on adult inpatients admitted to NHS-funded acute care (NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts and independent sector providers) in quarter 2 (Q2) 2017/18 are:
1. England as a whole continues to achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold. Of the 3.7 million admitted adult inpatients for whom data was reported in this collection, 3.5 million (95%) were risk assessed for VTE on admission.
2. Looking back, the proportion of adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE steadily increased from 53% in Q2 2010/11 to 96% in Q2 2013/14 and then remained at 96% until Q2 2015/16, dropping in Q3 2015/16 to 95%. From Q4 2015/16 to Q4 2016/17 the percentage was stable at 96%. The results for Q1 2017/18 showed a decline of 1% with 95% of patients being risk assessed for VTE and for Q2 2017/18 the percentage has remained at 95%.
3. In Q2 2017/18, the percentage of admitted adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE was slightly lower for NHS acute care providers (95%) compared to independent sector providers (97%), with NHS acute care providers doing about 97% of all VTE risk assessments.
4. All regions (London, North, South, and Midlands and East) achieved the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q2 2017/18.
5. In Q2 2017/18, 81% of providers (249 of the 306 reporting data) carried out a VTE risk assessment for 95% or more of their admissions (the NHS Standard Contract threshold). This breaks down as 74.2% of NHS acute providers (115 of 155) and 88.7% of independent sector providers (134 of 151). This is a decrease compared to Q1 2017/18 when 84% (256 of the 306) of NHS acute and independent sector providers risk assessed 95% or more of their admissions for VTE.
6. Of the 57 providers (19%) that did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q2 2017/18, 58% (33 of 57) did risk assess between 90% and 95% of total admissions for VTE.