Our official statistics for VTE risk assessment in England for quarter two (Q2) 2018/19 (July to September 2018) were released on 4 December 2018 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority. From April 2017 we took on responsibility as the publisher of official statistics for VTE from NHS England.
Venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk assessment data: quarter 2 2018/19 (revised)
The revised quarter 2 data released on Friday 31 May 2019 covers, July, August and September 2018. It revises VTE risk assessment 2018/19 released on 4 December 2018.
Summary of the data collection
The key results for the data collected on the number and percentage of VTE risk assessments on adult inpatients admitted to NHS-funded acute care (NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts and independent sector providers) in Q2 2018/19 are:
- England as a whole continues to achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold. Of the 3.8 million admitted adult inpatients for whom data was reported in this collection, 3.7 million (95%) were risk assessed for VTE on admission.
- Looking back, the proportion of adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE steadily increased from 53% in Q2 2010/11 to 96% in Q2 2013/14 and then remained at 96% until Q2 2015/16, dropping in Q3 2015/16 to 95%. From Q4 2015/16 to Q4 2016/17 the percentage was stable at 96%. The results for Q1 to Q4 2017/18 showed a decrease of 1% with 95% of patients being risk assessed for VTE. In Q1 2018/19 this increased to 96% but decreased again in Q2 2018/19 to 95%.
- In Q2 2018/19, the percentage of admitted adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE was 95% for NHS acute care providers and 97% for independent sector providers. NHS acute care providers carried out about 97% of all VTE risk assessments.
- Four regions (North, Midlands and East, South East and South West) achieved the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q2 2018/19 (see Table 2). London did not meet the threshold, achieving 94.9%.
- In Q2 2018/19, 79% of providers (239 of the 302 providers) carried out a VTE risk assessment for 95% or more of their admissions (the NHS Standard Contract threshold). This breaks down as 71% of NHS acute providers (107 of 150) and 87% of independent sector providers (132 of 152).
- Of the 63 providers (21%) that did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q2 2018/19, 78% (49 of 63) did risk assess between 90% and 95% of total admissions for VTE.