Our official statistics for VTE risk assessment in England for quarter 3 (Q3) 2017/18 (October to December 2017) were released on 2 March 2018 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
From April 2017 we took on responsibility as the publisher of official statistics for VTE from NHS England.
Summary of the data collection
The key results for the data collected on the number and percentage of VTE risk assessments on adult inpatients admitted to NHS-funded acute care (NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts and independent sector providers) in quarter 3 (Q3) 2017/18 are:
- England as a whole continues to achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold. Of the 3.7 million admitted adult inpatients for whom data was reported in this collection, 3.5 million (95%) were risk assessed for VTE on admission.
- Looking back, the proportion of adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE steadily increased from 53% in Q2 2010/11 to 96% in Q2 2013/14 and then remained at 96% until Q2 2015/16, dropping in Q3 2015/16 to 95%. From Q4 2015/16 to Q4 2016/17 the percentage was stable at 96%. The results for Q1 2017/18 showed a decline of 1% with 95% of patients being risk assessed for VTE and for Q2 and Q3 2017/18 the percentage has remained at 95%.
- In Q3 2017/18, the percentage of admitted adult inpatients risk assessed for VTE was slightly lower for NHS acute care providers (95%) compared to independent sector providers (97%), with NHS acute care providers doing about 97% of all VTE risk assessments.
- All regions (London, North, South, and Midlands and East) achieved the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q3 2017/18.
- In Q3 2017/18, 82% of providers (245 of the 300 providers) carried out a VTE risk assessment for 95% or more of their admissions (the NHS Standard Contract threshold). This breaks down as 73.4% of NHS acute providers (113 of 154) and 90.4% of independent sector providers (132 of 146). This is an increase compared to Q2 2017/18 when 81% (249 of 306) of NHS acute and independent providers risk assessed 95% or more of admissions for VTE.
- Of the 55 providers (18%) that did not achieve the 95% NHS Standard Contract threshold in Q3 2017/18, 62% (34 of 55) did risk assess between 90% and 95% of total admissions for VTE.