From April 2017 NHS Improvement became responsible for publishing the official statistics for VTE.
NHS providers are required to collect data on VTE risk assessments each month however, you only need to submit the data quarterly, at the end of each quarter.
The data collection asks for the following:
- the number of adults admitted as inpatients in the month, who have been risk assessed for VTE on admission to hospital using the criteria in the National VTE risk assessment tool
- the total number of adult inpatients admitted in the month
- the percentage of adult hospital admissions, admitted within the month assessed for risk of VTE on admission
You are required to upload your data on VTE risk assessment onto Unify2 and it must be signed off no later than 20 working days after the month end.
Nationally-mandated quality requirements, with associated financial consequences, were introduced in relation to VTE assessment (previously a national CQUIN indicator) in the 2014/15 NHS Standard Contract.
Follow these links for technical guidance:
latest NHS standard contract
- NHS Standard Contract 2017/18 - 2018/19 technical
- NHS England VTE Guidance September 2016